Whatever happened to Unikat Model Cars?

General discussions relating to all model brands and scales.
MLB-CMAmodelsInc

Whatever happened to Unikat Model Cars?

Post by MLB-CMAmodelsInc » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:18 pm

Unikat appeared on the scene within the last couple of years, and now seems to be completely gone and possibly without fully completing production of their first model. They announced a 1:12th De Tomaso Mangusta, in 3 colors. Then later the colors and edition sizes changed. They also announced a few other models and other scales.... Their web site changed frequently, but no real progress on the models. At least first batches of only the first three colors were produced, but I'm not sure if the full run of each was completed.

I briefly saw a few eBay dealers with some advertised for sale, and then nothing. Most of the photos shown were of the sample models from Unikat, not dealers photos.

I found that at one point Unikat had set up a "kickstarter" type of funding investment campaign for the Mangusta models, but they hardly received any response or money. So their campaign ended without funding.

I personally had a lot of back and forth correspondence with the owner; we discussed having my company sell them in the USA, I made many suggestions, gave advice, and even received a pre-production sample. Red with black interior.

I was just wondering if anyone has any other information...?

[KRAFTIG]

Re: Whatever happened to Unikat Model Cars?

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:52 pm

My experience is little to none. We tried to help with the odd post when we received notice. I think personally they folded, possibly sold moulds to Tecnomodel

MLB-CMAmodelsInc

Post by MLB-CMAmodelsInc » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:28 pm

Yes thanks, I was pretty sure they folded... based on what I've seen. I'd be surprised if Tecnomodel bought the molds.... They already made the Mangusta in smaller 1:18 scale, and it wasn't very good. The Unikat had problems too, but was overall a much better model. Maybe they did buy the molds.... time will tell......

Drivinghermad

Post by Drivinghermad » Mon May 14, 2018 1:26 pm

I bought one of the 1/12 Mangusta models from a guy on ebay in black,i showed it on here in my thread before Photobucket did the dirty on us.I was ready to buy the 1/12 Pantera they promised too but now they can't be found on any search ?

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Mon May 14, 2018 6:51 pm

They are Gonzo!

MysteriousRJC

Post by MysteriousRJC » Mon May 14, 2018 11:15 pm

never heard of them

Return to “General Discussion”