Calling any YWG collectors

General discussions relating to all model brands and scales.
zenmotion

Calling any YWG collectors

Post by zenmotion » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:57 am

Hi

I’m Zack from Winnipeg

Starting this thread in the hopes of possibly hearing from any collectors in the greater Winnipeg area/ Manitoba.

As far as I know, it’s just myself and my friend Scott (haromaster) who are dsociety members, but I figure there’s gotta be
other locals in my neck of the woods who are in the hobby. Even if you are a car enthusiast who may not collect, but loves to chat anything automotive or motorsport; give me a shout.

Whatever your preference, (domestic, imports, motorsport) it’s all good.

I personally favour 80s & 90s imports. Mainly sports cars, homologation cars and sport saloons/ wagons. I have a modest collection of about 65 cars. It’s a mashup of classic, retro and modern Euro and JDM spec vehicles.

My favourite model brands are Autoart and Ottomobile.

My favourite manufacturers are Honda and BMW.

Cheers

Turn2MS

Re: Calling any YWG collectors

Post by Turn2MS » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:32 am

Which bmw model of yours is your favorite and which is on your wishlist?

I have a huge BMW collection. Perhaps we can share what we like and don’t like about them.

zenmotion

Post by zenmotion » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:56 am

I have 10 BMWS in my collection at the moment:

UT E36 M3 Convertible in techo violet
Minichamps E32 735i in graphite
Autoart E30 M3 sport evolution in red
Autoart E46 M3 in lagnuna seca blue
Kyosho E92 M3 dealer edition in blue
Ottomobile E28 M5 in graphite
Ottomobile E46 M3 CSL in grey
Ottomobile E36 M3 3.2 in estoril blue
Ottomobile E36 M3 GT in British racing green
Ottomobile E36 M3 CSL Lightweight in alpine white

And I will be adding an 11th once my Ottomobile E34 M5 phase 1 arrives in early April.

I guess my favourite would be the E30 as it’s the best example of pure detail I have, but I give points to the way Ottomobile
has executed the outside profile so well with certain models in their range. My blue E36 in particular.

I have so many models on my wish list, but I’ll limit it to these 5:

Autoart 3.0 csl dealer edition
Autoart 635 csi in karmin red
Autoart 2002 Coupe in any colour (also touring version)
Minichamps E34 525i in black
Ottomobile E39 in silverwater blue

I guess I like how the scale model industry (Autoart in particular) have managed to so accurately re-create
a great number of these cars even their early years of production. However; getting your hands on some of the ones mentioned
above has become quite difficult when the only examples which ever come up for sale are in the hands of those who seek to triple or
or even quadruple their original investment. I don’t acquire new models all that often as I find it difficult to keep up with today’s current price points. I also don’t buy models to flip for profit. I buy for my own pleasure to display what I consider to be art pieces. Models like the 3.0 and 635 are not impossible to get, but I can’t justify spending $400-$500 on them. That’s just ridiculous. The Otto E39 M5 is also priced very high despite being one of the company’s earlier problematic releases. I actually wish another firm would take a stab at making it.

As for the future, I would like to see Ottomobile do an E36 4 door M3, and for Autoart or CMC even to do justice to the beautiful 507.

Turn2MS

Post by Turn2MS » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:55 pm

Hey, sounds like you have an awesome collection of BMW. I wish I had your level of control. I also don't buy them to flip and hold them for years before I decide whether to keep or trade. It's just so much cheaper to buy when they are still available new.

I pretty much have all the models in your collection as well as the ones on your wish list except for the E32 Minichamps. Would have liked that one, missed it when available. I missed the E21 Minichamps around that time too. Have the AA E21, but the Minichamps looks more detailed, in photos at least. My E46 CSL is the Dealer Edition by Kyosho, AA made this car too but I think the Kyosho is better; not sure about Otto, as I didn't look since I'm happy with my Kyosho. I have the E46 M3 by AA, as you do, and it doesn't compare with the Kyosho.

One of the models I really like is the GT Spirit 850CSi. I too hope someone will do a better job of the E36 M Sedan than UT. The 507 was recently released by Norev, I think. Not sure about the quality and certainly not AA or CMC level, but I'm happy with my Revell.

Regarding the E36 M, I had all the UT colors, including Estoril, so I did't get the Otto. Now I kinda wish I had when available at retail price. I did get the 1:12 Estoril, however, and it looks sharp! I'm a fan of the E36 M/4, since I own a 1:1 too!

Regarding the E30 M3, I think AA did a better job than Minichamps, and I had multiple copies form each manufactuerer so I couldn't justify buying an Ottomobile, except the Cabrio, although I think they did an amazing job of the exterior shape, perhaps better than AA.

All of 3.0 Coupes by AA are awesome; great choice. I like my CSi a lot.

zenmotion

Post by zenmotion » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:49 pm

It’s a shame we’re not in the same neck of the woods. Not sure how it is in California, but model collecting is quite the lonely hobby in Manitoba.

Not that there aren’t any, but most who I’ve met are only into domestic or only have lower-end stuff. That’s fine for them, but it’s not really my thing.

I only have 1 American car in my collection (Autoart 1963 C2 Corvette Splitwindow in Daytona blue). Not that I’m against having any other
domestic models in my range, but they would have to be significant or iconic like an Autoart ‘67 GT500 or exoto cobra. If I were to add one or two muscle cars, it would be the same as if I started buying motorsport models. I would be getting a bit off topic.

And I do agree that Kyosho did a slightly better job nailing the profile on the E46. However, I absolutely love the stance and overall execution of my E46 M3 CSL by Otto. Especially since the diecast variants are a fair bit more costly. Not to mention; how wet the paint looks! Truly awesome finish

Turn2MS

Post by Turn2MS » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:52 pm

Not many collectors around me that I know and no stores to speak of. Yes, it's a lonely hobby other than the online community, so I guess it doesn't really matter where you are. I'd be nice to share our collection, but it's unlikely that we would find someone with the same interests, as you said. I did pick up an ebay model once in my city and the guy had a lot of cool American muscle. He didn't seem as careful with his as I am with mine.

Regarding the E36, don't you think the UT mold is more crisp than the Otto? Hands down to Otto for the details tho. Did you know that UT upgraded their headlights in later releases?

I know what you mean by off topic, OMG. I've been to every corner and back! I have almost all types of cars from the 60's to 00's. Need to trade but no time right now! I'm keeping my street BMWs tho. I''ll only sell if I have other colors. So you're starting off on a good topic, stay on it. I started with 1/43, so I thought I had lots of room, hard to stay with street because so much more in motorsports then there's F1... down hill from there. Now I'm broke so just trying to stay on top of the BMW street cars, even tho I'm no longer a big fan of how they now drive. If you like the late model 5 Series, the recent release by Kyosho of the G30 is pretty nice, diecast and all opening panels, much better than any effort of the last F10 5 Series, and for a reasonable price. I just got mine, reminds me of models of the past, although I like the foam boxes much more than the window boxes. Only complaint is that the chrome around the windows is a bit light over the rear windows. I got the blue-grey one as opposed to the dark grey, I think it might look better in the dark grey, but I tend to shy away from dark models as they don't show as well indoors.

zenmotion

Post by zenmotion » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:42 am

The UT E36 is very decent looking model for it’s time, it has to be said. I still prefer the Ottomobile however. Despite the lack of opening
components, it wins me over with overall better presentation and proportions. And yes, there is a noticeable difference with the headlights in later UT releases. A point which helps make the M3 GTR still such a tempting buy. As well as the M roadster and E36 Polizei (even though I don’t collect police cars).

I think UT doesn’t quite get enough praise in today’s crowded market for producing quality products which were among the best of the time. And while melting wheels is always a concern, the paint used on the body still show no signs of peel or rash despite being over 20 year old releases. Contemporary releases by many high-end diecast firms can’t boast that.

As for future BMW releases; I would like to see things like the E30 325ix sedan, or an original E38 7 series (pre-face lift). Either the 750il featured in the 007 Tomorrow Never Dies, or the 735i featured in The Transporter. I’d also like to see more releases of tuning house BMWs by Hartge, Dinan or A/C Schnitzer.

Return to “General Discussion”