Lighting my first model.

Modifiers corner! Post your latest creations, your "how to" tips and tricks. Custom model and parts development too.
Inspector71

Lighting my first model.

Post by Inspector71 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:35 am

Hi everyone,
I've just brought my first model and as it is my first project I have a few questions I hope someone can help me with.

The model is the Greenlight 1/18 Terminator LAPD Dodge Monaco and I'd like to add lights. I'd like to have the top front headlamps on and the lower ones flashing. The front amber lamps and tail lamps on and replace the lightbar with a flashing one. My questions are can these be ordered in a pack or will everything be sold individually and can anyone recommend an online site in the UK (preferably) or US that sell good quality parts. Also does anyone sell a more detailed period replacement interior for this model.

Thanks for any advice.

FrenchToast

Re: Lighting my first model.

Post by FrenchToast » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:22 pm

Inspector71 wrote:Hi everyone,
I've just brought my first model and as it is my first project I have a few questions I hope someone can help me with.

The model is the Greenlight 1/18 Terminator LAPD Dodge Monaco and I'd like to add lights. I'd like to have the top front headlamps on and the lower ones flashing. The front amber lamps and tail lamps on and replace the lightbar with a flashing one. My questions are can these be ordered in a pack or will everything be sold individually and can anyone recommend an online site in the UK (preferably) or US that sell good quality parts. Also does anyone sell a more detailed period replacement interior for this model.

Thanks for any advice.
I don't know of any place that offers a "plug and play" light kit for that model, but that doens't mean there isn't one.

I would imagine you would need to custom build it.

There are some tutorials on Youtube, this one is specific for a police car: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExhRqoqFBmI

The model needs to be disassembled. You need to find a spot for a battery box and switch. If you want flashing lights, you need some sort of relay (or computer chip) for that.

Mechanically, you need to find a place to locate LEDs, so you need to drill holes in the light reflectors (or if there are no reflectors, somewhere behind the lens - you can make a reflector for better light output).

Some of the really fancy models use a few feet of fiber optic laid out inside the car. They are dimmer (if you have more than one fiber per light), but are good for lots of little detail lights.

Return to “Custom Models, Repairs & Parts Development”