CMC vs. Exoto Ferrari Sharknose

General discussions relating to all model brands and scales.
luft911

CMC vs. Exoto Ferrari Sharknose

Post by luft911 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:02 am

Hi Guys ,
I've been thinking of adding a 1/18 Sharknose to my collection and wondered if someone could offer up an assessment of the differences in detail , finish , quality between the CMC and Exoto versions ? Do either suffer paint issues or zinc pest ? From afar both look like nice models , but it would seem this conversation must have taken place many times .
Thanks,
Bryan

ihorses

Re: CMC vs. Exoto Ferrari Sharknose

Post by ihorses » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:20 am

Yes, if you search, you will find many comparisons of the two. Exoto overall is a better model, but they are much more expensive than CMC for not much more detail-wise in return. CMC models are VERY good. I had both and eventually sold the Exoto and kept CMC model.

luft911

Post by luft911 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:45 am

Thanks Alex - that's the kind of input I was hoping for . I haven't bought a Ferrari model since about 1992 or so when I bought one of those Bburago F40's . I recall at the time it seemed so detailed and now it's toy store quality .
Regards,
Bryan

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:23 am

The two aren't comparable In my opinion, they offer a different level of detail and the price point is 7-9 times more. At the end of the day, it all depends what floats your boat and how attached are you to these models. CMR does provide exceptional value, but it lacks greatly at the exposed detail and what's underneath.

As for "zinc pest", price point doesn't matter here, it can affect any diecast metal model at any time. How CMR is holding up I'm not sure.

iStreet

Post by iStreet » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:59 am

interesting question.. i was thinking the same.. i do see lots of cmc models lately.. To bu honest, i think they are good in details, but is that little extra detail, worth the extra price from exoto?

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:19 am

iStreet wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:59 am
interesting question.. i was thinking the same.. i do see lots of cmc models lately.. To bu honest, i think they are good in details, but is that little extra detail, worth the extra price from exoto?
To some yes. To me no, as the model/car is appealing and must have. But I can tell you items that interest me I'm always looking for the best example possible. Priced within reason of course. So happy CMC doesn't produce much of what I desire :D

ihorses

Post by ihorses » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:00 pm

[KRAFTIG] wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:23 am
The two aren't comparable In my opinion, they offer a different level of detail and the price point is 7-9 times more.
I disagree - they are two detailed models from premium manufacturers of the same car - so they are comparable. Exoto model is not THAT much better, for what essentially much, much more in $$.

luft911

Post by luft911 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:06 pm

^ I think both of you have a point . I'm probably going to limit myself to 4 or 5 Ferraris and would like to have the nicest example of each that I can buy . On the more recent front I'd love to see an F40 done like the upcoming BBR '' high end '' diecast line . I just can't see spending $400-$500on a sealed resin model no matter how nice they look which seems to be all I can find besides the more toy like offerings . I'd like to have something comparable detail / quality wise to Exoto / CMC .

StratosWRC

Post by StratosWRC » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:12 pm

I'd go for the Exoto every time. I've owned lots of CMCs and some were great. But the Exoto XS series are on another level, a clear step above the CMC.

luft911

Post by luft911 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:43 pm

I think I'll likely go with the Exoto - probably the Phil Hill version . I managed to get an incredible deal on a new in the box Exoto 641/2 Prost so I can balance the cost a bit on it .

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:24 pm

F40 done like the upcoming BBR '' high end '' diecast line
I currently own the Kyosho, though might purchase the BBR if I see value. However, the model is yet to be confirmed. Odds are it will be done! :fingercrossed:

ihorses

Post by ihorses » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:34 pm

Isn't BBR "hi-end" line is just a re-badged Kyosho anyway? The models are made by kyosho, no?

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:16 am

ihorses wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:34 pm
Isn't BBR "hi-end" line is just a re-badged Kyosho anyway? The models are made by kyosho, no?
No. There was a relationship there many years ago. I don't know exactly all the details there but today nothing.

luft911

Post by luft911 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:29 am

I'm hoping for an F40 that has the crispness and paint quality that you find in resin models , but with full interior / engine compartment detail and opening features . Collecting Porsche models almost exclusively for about 30 years I've hung onto some of my UT / Paul's Model Art models ( most bought back in the day for $40-$50 at shows ) , but mostly have bought resin models with the odd Autoart , Exoto , Shuco , or Minichamps in the mix . I love the way Spark has done many of my favorites over the years , but would gladly replace them with full detail models if/when they became available . It has always been the door / panel shutline issue that lets down many diecast models for me and renders them more toy like in my eyes . I realize it is exactly that issue that makes doing it with them nearly invisible or close to scale that makes a model expensive - I'll gladly pay for that . My 2 cents .

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:09 pm

F40 that has the crispness and paint quality that you find in resin models ,
You'll definitely find this within the BBR diecast metal series. I just received the Ferrari FXXK EVO. Brilliant piece! Review to come, hopefully, this week!

Return to “General Discussion”