Looking for advice on dealing with with a lot of cars?

General discussions relating to all model brands and scales.
FuzzyRocket

Looking for advice on dealing with with a lot of cars?

Post by FuzzyRocket » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:28 pm

A member of my family has passed, and he was an avid collector of die cast cars. According to the estate attorney, we are looking at a collection of around three to four thousand cars, most still boxed and most appear to be around 1:18.

We are not looking to give them away but also not trying to squeeze every dollar out of them either. We want to do the relative and the collection justice by seeing the cars go to people who will appreciate them. I will not have the time or storage to sell them piecemeal on something like eBay. I am seeking advice and ideas from other collectors on how to deal with such a large collection.

I figure the first step will be to catalog the collection. For my own collections (non die-cast) I have iPhone apps that I can scan a UPC code and have details populated into a database. I have not been successful finding one that will work for die cast cars. While I know that not all of his cars have UPC codes, I figured an app would be successful for the majority of them. Do you know of any apps (iPhone or pc) that can make this easier?

Thanks in advance,

Fuzzy

[KRAFTIG]

Re: Looking for advice on dealing with with a lot of cars?

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:42 am

Welcome to DS, sorry to hear about the loss of the family member.

As for the collection, there is no magic wand, you will need to do the leg work to catalogue it all. My advice and it seems there is no interest from the family to keep the collection, sell as-is to a local shop that specializes in scale model collections and will buy the entire lot. Contact the guys at Toronto Motorsports, I know for fact they buy complete collections. Good luck!

ihorses

Post by ihorses » Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:11 pm

Replicarz buy entire collections, Mark is a good guy. www.replicarz.com
Having said that, you will never get even remotely close to what these would sell for individually by selling entire lot. Just a nature of the beast.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:46 pm

ihorses wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:11 pm
Replicarz buy entire collections, Mark is a good guy. www.replicarz.com
Having said that, you will never get even remotely close to what these would sell for individually by selling entire lot. Just a nature of the beast.
2nd on Mark :clap:

Good point, though it requires a lot of leg-work and patience with tire kickers :shame:

Return to “General Discussion”