Ferrari 350 CanAm - 0858 - 1967 Monterey Grand Prix

All remaining brands related news, headlines and general discussion.
Bill Murray

Ferrari 350 CanAm - 0858 - 1967 Monterey Grand Prix

Post by Bill Murray » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:32 am

This Ferrari 330 P4 #0858 started its life with the Berlinetta bodywork (closed). It raced at Monza 1000km, Francorchamps 100km, then the 1967 24 Hours of Le Mans were is finished 1st in it class and 2nd overall. After that, the body was modified to the Barchette (open). One more race and then another change. This time it was converted to a 350 CanAm Spyder by Ferrari. The front headlights were removed and the front body was smoothed for improved aerodynamics. Two large scoops were added above the engine. Engine displacement was increased in an attempt to keep up with the large American powered McLarens. The next race was the 1967 Monterey Grand Prix and this model represents how it raced that day. Jonathan Williams (GB) would finish 8th, 7 laps down. During its time racing CanAm the car did not find success. Only a year later would it start winning races. It continued to race around the world until 1971. The car was restored in 1994. It is one of only 3 P3/4 ever.

As for the model. I am not 100% sure who built it, but they did a fine job. Presented in a red display box similar to what you would get with a BBR or MR Ferrari. The wheels and tires are very nice. The brakes behind the wheels are a bit too shiny for my liking. From the photos of the real car, it appears the body is quite accurate. It does however not have the front fender vents nor does it have the air scope that comes out of the cockpit. Small details that are not a huge turn off. The paint is exceptional; very rich and shiny! The decals are good and seem very accurate to the photos with one problem. Like the Safari Porsche by Spark, the decals cover the door gaps. It looks odd. The interior is very clean and crisp. It displays nicely but does not have the look of the real car. This is where Exoto excels; giving every piece the look and feel of the real car. This model is just too clean for me in the cockpit area. Saying that, it is nicely detailed and seems accurate. By no means is the interior bad. There is a small portion of the engine that was reproduced. Just enough to tell that there is a motor. It is a sealed model so they did the enough. Overall, this is a great model. I picked this up for $100 and was shipped to me for $40. It would be impossible for me to be disappointed. The detail far exceeds my $100 standard. The historical significance of the car makes it a very special piece in anyones collection. If you collect Ferrari, CanAm, or any historic race cars then I would strongly suggest looking into one of these.

[KRAFTIG]

Re: Ferrari 350 CanAm - 0858 - 1967 Monterey Grand Prix

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:11 pm

That is a really nice piece. Can't go wrong with classic Ferrari racers!

Gavin

Post by Gavin » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:43 pm

man, that is absolutely fantastic looking....just love the beautiful flowing lines. The history of it is just icing on the cake.

Great buy, too...I would have guessed it was much more expensive (I was figuring $200 minimum).

Bill Murray

Post by Bill Murray » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:38 pm

Thanks Gavin.I love looking at this model. A great car and glad to have it. On the bay they are around $250. But, I am sure there are deals out there.

Bill Murray

Post by Bill Murray » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:39 pm

[KRAFTIG] wrote:That is a really nice piece. Can't go wrong with classic Ferrari racers!
Thanks. I can always go for another Ferrari.

jface

Post by jface » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:07 pm

Impressive model for $140

Return to “Other”