Streetfighter to Road Racer

Modifiers corner! Post your latest creations, your "how to" tips and tricks. Custom model and parts development too.
Oldtimer

Streetfighter to Road Racer

Post by Oldtimer » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:35 pm

I picked up a GMP 1969 Streetfighter Camaro body the other day on eBay, buying due to my curiousity of whether it was interchangeable with other GMP Camaros. Turns out, it is an exact fit. I happen to have several Todco Trans Am Camaros waiting in line for repainting, so used one of them to swap the Streetfighter onto.

The red color is really appropriate when I look for a road racing custom that might be possible, such as this one owned by Don Yenko that he and Bob Grossman drove to tenth overall and first in class at the 1969 Sebring 12 Hours.

http://www.racingsportscars.com/photo/1 ... 22-005.jpg

http://www.racingsportscars.com/photo/1 ... 2-005a.jpg

http://www.racingsportscars.com/photo/1 ... 2-005b.jpg

[KRAFTIG]

Re: Streetfighter to Road Racer

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:27 pm

A perfect marriage, I like the result!

StratosWRC

Post by StratosWRC » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:32 pm

Excellent! Any other time I would have cringed at the molestation of such a desirable Camaro model but if it's used to make another epic car, I say why not!

Oldtimer

Post by Oldtimer » Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:18 pm

StratosWRC wrote:Excellent! Any other time I would have cringed at the molestation of such a desirable Camaro model but if it's used to make another epic car, I say why not!
The good news is that it only takes 6 screws to make the conversion, and nothing has to be pried apart. There are four that hold the body to the chassis, and two that hold the dashboard (I put the Todco road racing dash into the Streetfighter body).

Now I have to figure out if I can get the black trim off the red car without screwing up the red paint.

Oldtimer

Post by Oldtimer » Fri May 01, 2015 11:15 pm

An update on this project.

Going to resurrect this one, as it is the second project on my bench (along with the Malibu GT2).

Actually grabbed a bare GMP Camaro chassis, and as the imagination reeled, I harkened back to the early days of the International Motorsports Association (IMSA) and their early "run-what-you-brung" attitude. This is my attempt at replicating that era.

Image Image

The chassis is straight-forward Camaro, I've added a window net, though, for safety sake. But we're going to substitute a Big Block Chevy for the Small Block that came in the Z-28. And, due to the heat load of the Big Block, added a larger oil cooler in the front.

Here are some other details of the build (you will see the Malibu chassis in the background on some of them).

At the front, we've blanked off the right (we always clocked things from the driver's seat) headlight, but opened up the left one with a screen, to get a little more air coming toward that bigger oil cooler we installed for the Big Block. At the rear (and I've got more detail), we are setting up for refueling on endurance races.

Back then, there was no such thing as a "dry-break", you just had to figure out how to get the fuel from the outside of the car to the fuel tank (fuel cells weren't even required in the early days of the IMSA series). Here we have a "Monza-style" filler connected to an aluminum pipe, going to a fuel cell. Hidden under the rear spoiler (replaced from the stock Streetfighter version with one from a Todco, and currently on threaded stalks with make it sit too high - the stalks will be cut down for the final build).

Oldtimer

Post by Oldtimer » Fri May 01, 2015 11:20 pm

And just in case you were worried about my inspiration, I kept one part off my first racer, my beloved '69 Camaro Z-28 road racer. This build is a memorial to that car, may it rest in peace where ever it ended up. These pictures are from the rear spoiler hanging above my work bench.

StratosWRC

Post by StratosWRC » Sat May 02, 2015 12:22 am

Cool update, looking forward to the finished model

Return to “Custom Models, Repairs & Parts Development”